One of our favourite salads - easy to prepare yet delicious. Inspired by a salad of roasted eggplant and rocket leaves I once had in a quaint restaurant in Fremantle.
200gms pumpkin - 2 cm cubes
200 gms aubergine (long) - sliced 1/2 cm thick
50gms baby spinach
1 red onion - quartered
1 tomato - quartered
5 large cloves garlic
5 to 10 pcs of sundried tomatoes (cut to 1/2 cm strips)
50 to 100gms of drained cocktail feta
1 tbsp Modena balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and black pepper pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 190 deg C.
2. Toss pumpkin, aubergine, red onion, tomatoes and unpeeled garlic cloves with 1 tbsp olive oil, some salt and pepper.
3. Lay the vegs in a baking pan lined with baking sheet. Roast in oven for 45 mins or until pumpkin and aubergine are done.
4. Once vegs are done, turn off oven and toss baby spinach onto the hot vegs.
5. Squeeze out garlic and mash with fork if necessary. Mix well with 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar and 1 tbsp olive oil.
6. Place vegs onto salad bowl and top with drained feta and sundried tomatoes.
4. Pour dressing over and toss salad. Serve warm.