Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Dinner of Salmon with Bell Peppers and Nutella Cupcakes

We are trying to eat healthier stuffs... cut down on bad fats and carbs.

I just read in the book "Body for Life" that fruits are considered carbs. Yes, these innocent healthy fruits are loaded with sugars which are basically carbohydrates. The good side is that they are not refined sugars but still, it is a form of carbohydrate. Hence, if you take a banana, an orange or a mango for example, it's best to reduce other forms of carbs like rice, pasta or potatoes.

So, I made salmon with bell peppers and mango and avocado salad (have to use up the last mango and last avocado before they are too ripe) for dinner tonight. No rice, no pasta, no potato, no bread....



Ingredients :
2 pieces of salmon
1 small bell pepper (best is red but I only have green, so green pepper it is)
2 cloves garlic (chopped finely)
2 tsp olive oil
salt to taste

Method :
1. Heat oven to 250 deg C.
2. Rub salt and 1/3 of the chopped garlic all over salmon. Place on baking dish greased with 1 tsp of the olive oil.
3. Grill pepper until burnt. Place in a plastic bag to allow skin to loosen. Remove skin and seeds. Chop coarsely.
4. Mix chopped pepper, remaining 2/3 of garlic and 1 tsp of olive oil. Add a teeny weeny pinch of salt if desired. After all, the fish are already seasoned with salt.
5. Spread pepper/garlic/oil mixture on top of salmon evenly.
6. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

Anyway, so much talk about cutting down bad fats and sugars.... and I gave in to temptation and made 12 Nutella Cupcakes - This blogger makes me want to bake and bake with her baking.

Baking the cupcakes was a last-minute decision but trust me, this has been on my mind since the weekend. I didn't have any liners at home - so, I improvised by using squares of aluminium foil. Not so beautiful but tastes great!


As usual, I like to deviate a bit (I know, using aluminium foil instead of proper liners is already a great deviation). Instead of swirling Nutella with a toothpick, I covered the Nutella with more cake mixture cos didn't want to waste the extra. Thus, the Nutella in my cupcakes are pretty much hidden and it won't do justice if I call them Nutella Frosted Cupcakes.

I had one cake after dinner shared with B. B was dying to have more but can't as he has just started his no-sweets diet. The rest will be distributed to friends as I enjoy baking but have no sweet tooth.

No comments: