Sunday, November 26, 2006

Beefy Dog Biscuits


Claudia, my dog stays at home alone most of the time... I do feel guilty about that and so, give her an occasional treat of airdried chicken imported from Japan. It is a "better" treat than those dog biscuits etc... Even then, I am not too happy to give her any commercial treats.

I am a healthy eater and this applies to those I feed, my dog included. I am firm believer that pets should not be fed commercial treats as they contain a lot of cheap junk for ingredients like unwanted parts of animals, sodium, preservatives, colourings and goodness knows what else.

So, I did a bit of homework to look for dog treats recipes.. and voila! Allrecipes have them! But most of the recipes contain stuffs which I do not want to feed my dog with like beef bouillon (msg), salt, shortening, peanut butter...

So, I came up with my own easy recipe and poopy tested it just now... she loves it!!

Ingredients :

300gms minced beef
1 cup grated carrot
2 eggs
2 cups wholemeal flour
1/2 tsp dried parsley flakes (for fresher breath)

Method :
1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C.
2. Mix beef, carrot, egg and parsley till well blended.
3. Add in flour. Knead well. Dough will be pliable and just a bit sticky.
4. Take a handful of dough and flatten on lightly floured surface till approx 1/4 inch thick.
5. Cut to desired shapes. Repeat till all the dough is used up.
6. Bake for 20 mins.
7. Cool and keep refrigerated.

Makes 60 biscuits.

I used organic-grade flour, no bleach and no genetic engineering) - And the damage? 7X more expensive than all-purpose flour.Yup, my dog eats better than I do, most times.

As with all treats, keep feeding treats to pets to a minimum.

No comments: