Sunday, November 26, 2006
Beefy Dog Biscuits
Claudia, my dog stays at home alone most of the time... I do feel guilty about that and so, give her an occasional treat of airdried chicken imported from Japan. It is a "better" treat than those dog biscuits etc... Even then, I am not too happy to give her any commercial treats.
I am a healthy eater and this applies to those I feed, my dog included. I am firm believer that pets should not be fed commercial treats as they contain a lot of cheap junk for ingredients like unwanted parts of animals, sodium, preservatives, colourings and goodness knows what else.
So, I did a bit of homework to look for dog treats recipes.. and voila! Allrecipes have them! But most of the recipes contain stuffs which I do not want to feed my dog with like beef bouillon (msg), salt, shortening, peanut butter...
So, I came up with my own easy recipe and poopy tested it just now... she loves it!!
300gms minced beef
1 cup grated carrot
2 cups wholemeal flour
1/2 tsp dried parsley flakes (for fresher breath)
1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C.
2. Mix beef, carrot, egg and parsley till well blended.
3. Add in flour. Knead well. Dough will be pliable and just a bit sticky.
4. Take a handful of dough and flatten on lightly floured surface till approx 1/4 inch thick.
5. Cut to desired shapes. Repeat till all the dough is used up.
6. Bake for 20 mins.
7. Cool and keep refrigerated.
Makes 60 biscuits.
I used organic-grade flour, no bleach and no genetic engineering) - And the damage? 7X more expensive than all-purpose flour.Yup, my dog eats better than I do, most times.
As with all treats, keep feeding treats to pets to a minimum.