We had Balsamic Vinegar Chicken Salad as starter for dinner tonight followed by a medley of beef, bell peppers and mushroom for main course and finished off with toasted blueberry Pop Tarts.
Very low carbs - we wanted a light meal.
Am not proud of the beef as I had left it to warm for far too long while waiting for Barry who was playing chess at the pool with our neighbour, Tim.
Anyway, here is the recipe for the Balsamic Vinegar Chicken Salad which I made - enough for 2 person. Should have used my plain white plates - didn't intend to blog about it...
1 boneless and skinned chicken breast (cut criss-cross on both surfaces)
Extra virgin olive oil (I like Colavita)
Coarse black pepper
Dressing (shaken in a screwtop jar) :
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of Dijon mustard (I like Maille)
2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar (I use Borges)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
coarse black pepper
Salad leaves (butterhead, mizuna, baby romaine, lollo rossa, red chicory)
1. Marinade chicken with just a wee bit of olive oil, salt and pepper for about an hour.
2. Brush some dressing on the chicken before grilling in a pre-heated oven at 250 deg C for 10 minutes. Remove and turn the chicken pieces. Brush dressing again and grill for a further 5 mins.
3. Cut chicken pieces when cooled to 1/2 cm slices.
4. Arrange chicken slices on a bed of cold salad leaves. Decorate with cold halved tomatoes.
5. Brush some dressing onto the tomato halves and drizzle the balance all over the leaves.
The dressing went well with mushrooms, bell peppers and beef too!!!