Saturday, February 10, 2007

Pineapple Tarts and Apple Pie

There was pineapple left in the fridge (I made Spicy Hawaiian Chicken and Calamari and Onion pizza toppings last Sunday) and thought that it would be nice to make pineapple tarts from scratch.

I used :

3/4 pineapple (grated corasely and squeeze out some juice)
1/2 cup brown sugar
a pinch of ground cinnamon (as I did not have cinnamon sticks on hand; 1 clove would be nice too!)

Grated pineapple, sugar and cinnamon are placed in a heavy bottomed pan and cook over medium heat till thick and slightly caramelised (lower heat if necessary to prevent burning) - about 1/2 hour to 45mins. Set aside to cool.

I made the usual shortcrust pastry and baked 12 pineapple jam-filled tarts (in a preheated 190 deg C oven for about 15mins. I ran out of eggs!!! So, no eggwashing this time before baking....

You can tell I did not have enough jam to fully fill the tart shells... I like it though as I prefer to eat pastry than filling especially when it is of the sweet variety.

There was enough pastry left to make a 5-in apple pie.Not exactly pretty since there wasn't really enough pastry to cover the pie and no eggs. Also, I am not very patient sometimes... especially when I do not have all ingredients in hand.

Yummy though - just good ole peeled, cored and thinly sliced Granny Smith apple, some cinnamon powder, brown sugar and little dollops of butter as filling...

The smell of baking tarts and pies can be so therapeutic....

No comments: