Sunday, February 10, 2008

Japan - January 2008 - French Restaurant Le Trianon, Grand Prince Hotel, Akasaka

We stayed at Grand Prince Akasaka this time while in Tokyo since it was recommended by our new Japanese colleague (mainly due to its close proximity to the office).

I loved the traditional Japanese breakfast of rice gruel with pickles, teriyaki fish, umeboshi, salted fish roe, miso soup etc... I had this every morning alone at the Kioi restaurant (tucked in the basement) while my two Caucasian colleagues preferred Western breakfast at Blue Gardenia located on the topmost floor of the hotel (stunning view, I must admit).

One night, we decided to go French for dinner at the hotel's French restaurant, Le Trianon.

The Frommer's site says : Never out of fashion is the hotel's signature restaurant, Le Trianon, housed in a stately 80-year-old mansion that once belonged to the Imperial family.

The menu was 100% in French (either they could tell immediately if guests can read French or all menus are in French at the resto); I don't know...



Amuse bouche of smoked salmon and coquilles st jacques
My foie gras with poached apple **Happy, happy me**

Colleagues' starter of scallops
My lobster with asparagus... (I asked for half-portion to leave room for dessert) Love, love, love lobsters! Lobster and foie gras - lethal combination to choke my arteries.
Colleague's wagyu beef cheek - apparently it was good... it looked GREAT too! Desert - raspberry tart with meringue
Sorbet (with sugar works)
My molten chocolate cake... had many better ones.. am a chocolate moelleux snob...

The appetisers fared better overall. Not good with dessert. Price : not cheap.... JPY20,000 nd up for 3-course meal without alcohol. We had Moet & Chandon and a bottle of red.

No comments: