Saturday, June 02, 2007

Japan May 2007 : Gion, Kyoto

After Kiyomizu-dera, I took like a 20 minutes stroll to Gion, Kyoto's traditional entertainment district - it's in Central Kyoto and this is where one can see the old and new knitted very intricately together.

I managed to catch a glimpse of maiko (young geisha) and geishas going to work in the evening while in Gion - mind you, it was hard to get a proper pic of them as they scurried off like frightened rabbits (I can understand as all cameras were on standby to shoot them whenever they make an appearance).

People are very nice - they go all out to show the beauty of the city - even walking for 15 to 20 minutes to show me the way to subway station or their famous Kamo(gawa) River.

Below are some pictures taken along the way :

My journey from Kiyomizu-zaka to Gion started from this staircase :

Rickshaw
One of the alley ways leading to Yasaka Shrine - can see the Kiyomizu-dera pagoda in the background
Geisha walking away fast! - Hanami-koji
Gion at night

I think this one is maiko - young geisha - Shijo Street
Hanami-koji
Hanami-koji
Shijo Street
Ponto-cho
Next morning : Nijo Castle

No comments: