Saturday, March 17, 2007

Greek Shrimp with Feta


I chanced upon this recipe while brwosing around for seafood recipes - kinda tired of the usual chicken and beef. I don't normally cook seafood at home as I do not get the chance to go to the market often to guarantee superfresh sea produce...

Anyway, I managed to go to the night market last Sunday at 4pm! And for once I could get really fresh shrimps because I was superearly. And I bought a nice half-baguette from Hiestand just in the afternoon too! So, a shrimp stew was just right for the stuffs I had in hand.

Here is the recipe from Beyond Salmon :

Serves 4

1-1/2 Lb medium shrimp, peeled and tails removed (I "deveined" the shrimps too)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 Tbsp finely minced oregano
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained (used canned whole tomatoes as I didn't have diced ones on hand)
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup crumbled feta
Minced parsley for garnish (omitted since Barry and I are not into parsley)
Salt and pepper to taste


Place shrimp in a bowl of iced, salted water (1 Tbsp kosher salt per quart of water) and let brine while preparing the sauce.

Set a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add olive oil, onions, and a generous pinch of salt. Cook stirring occasionally until onions are tender and golden, about 15 minutes.

Add garlic and oregano and stir until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.

Add tomatoes and wine, turn up the heat and bring to a simmer. When the sauce starts to bubble, return to medium-low heat and cook for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt.

Remove shrimp from the brine and dry on paper towels. Season with pepper and place on top of the sauce in one layer (don't mix). Sprinkle the feta on top. Cover, turn up the heat to medium-high, and cook just until shrimp turn pink, 2-3 minutes.

Take off heat, sprinkle with parsley (omitted) and serve with good crusty bread.

Verdict : We wiped our bowls clean! Yummy!! Besides, it's hard to fault especially since I love shrimps and feta cheese.

No comments: