Grilled Black Pepper Lamb with Leeks
2 lamb shoulder steaks
1 stalk leek (prefer Australian - remove the fibrous part, cut into 4 cm lengths and then cut half, lengthwise)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
2 tsp butter
1. Season the lamb generously with freshly ground black pepper and garlic for 1/2 hour. Season with salt just before grilling.
2. Grill on pan till desired doneness both sides (many websites will guide you on how to grill lamb).
3. Remove onto plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
4. Add butter to pan with all the juice and bits from the lamb and add cut leek onto the pan as well. Add about 4 tbsp water and cook till leeks are soft (More water can be added, if need to). Taste and add salt and pepper if necessary.
5. Dish out and serve with the grilled lamb.
Mango and Vegetable Salad with White Wine Vinaigrette
1 just-ripe sweet mango - too ripe and it gets mushy (cubed)
1 Japanese cucumber - kyuri (remove seeds and cut into cubes)
1 red onion the size of a golf ball - love those Aussie ones (sliced into half rings and separated)
1 bell pepper (cubed)
a handful of cherry tomatoes (halve about 6 of them and leave the rest whole)
1 clove garlic (chopped finely)
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
a touch of Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon sugar (omit if mango is very sweet)
a pinch of salt
a. Put mango, cucumber, onion, bell pepper and tomatoes into salad bowl. Chill well.
b. Mix garlic, olive oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and sugar well.
c. Pour onto the mango-veg and toss just before serving.
d. Top with freshly ground black pepper.
Recipe is flexible, vary the quantity of mango and veg to your liking.